Friday, May 13, 2011

Coming Home

To all of you followers out there, I am now back in the blogging world!  We have been back a little over three weeks now and I have been trying to get the whole staying at home and daily routine thing. It has been an adjustment but so wonderful!

Our flight home was great! Luke did not get lost, we got through immigration and he did not go crazy being on an airplane for the first time. Seriously, Luke was a champ! He sat pretty quiet the whole time. Well except for our last long flight back to the states. His little ears were bothering him. Let me tell you! Did you know that one stick of gum if pulled apart in tiny tiny pieces can last for over twenty minutes? I felt so bad for him because of the pressure and he wouldn't eat anything so the chewing would help his ears. So I decided to give him gum. I thought he was just going to swallow it but turned out he knew how to just chew and not swallow it.  Whew! Now everyone stopped staring at us. I mean I didn't care about the  staring I just felt bad for him.

I was showing him how the plane was taking off and mom is stuffing him with Cheerios for his ears. :) 

When we got to the states, Ken met us in Detroit where our plane landed so he could see Luke again before we met up with everyone back home. I wish I could say when they met after being apart for three weeks it was this glorious meeting. Well, Luke had been cranky and screaming for the past little while, and I had a crazy time in immigration. I mean not too crazy. I just had to go through the American immigration line with Luke and my mom which took forever then I had to go do Luke's foreign immigration adoption thing by myself which took a little while. Sweet little Luke also  had to go to the bathroom in the middle of everything. Kids have to go potty at the best times don't they? :) So I was wiped and Luke was so tired. Don't get me wrong,  Luke was glad to see him! :)  

Our flight from Detroit to home was great and Luke loved talking to the stewardess showing her all of his trains. I was hoping to take a little nap on this flight but that didn't really work out and but it was totally ok. You know, I had only been up for a whole day. :) Welcome to parenthood. That flight was so short. When we were descending, I had this realization of, "This is for real!" I'm sure all of you parents felt that when you were pulling up to your driveway for the first time with your new baby. I mean it was a good, "this is for real" feeling not a "what are we doing?" kind of thing. Anyways. 

When we got off the plane, a lot of our friends were waiting for us with sweet signs, flowers and gifts! I am so blessed by all of our wonderful friends here. The Lord is so good! We stayed at the airport for over an hour talking to people. It was a lot of fun!

Our plane was early so this was the early few before the others got there. :) 

This is one of my favorite pictures ever!!

Sweet kiddos! I love their signs! 

The Fam :) 

Thats right folks we broke out the Legos in the middle of the airport! It was great! :) 

The whole group. 
We are so thankful for everyone who came out to welcome sweet Luke home! :) 

When we got home, My amazing mom and parents-in-law decorated with signs, pictures, balloons and cake! They are awesome!! By the end of the day I was wiped! The Lord is so good and I am so thankful that we were able to go on such an amazing journey to get one of the best gifts anyone could ask for.

Flowers from my sweet friends Katy and Beth

Welcome home Luke! We love you!


  1. Tears of joy running down my face...what a beautiful thing to hold your son. We are so happy for you!

  2. I don't know if you remember me, but we met at the SDA picking up our referrals... I have to admit I didn't have a ton of time in Ukraine to keep up with your blog, but I have loved reading back on your story. He is such a cute little boy. I am so happy for you and your family.